Averil Bolster, 英語中心高級導師 │ 第58期 四月號 澳大人
Now that spring is here, let’ s take a look at some common idioms that use the word ‘spring’. There are many idioms in English that use this word to give us a sense of
renewal or ener getic actions. Below are some examples:
• spring into action = to suddenly begin moving or doing something.
Example: As soon as the boss came in the door , everyone sprang into action.
Example: Every morning, I jump out of bed and spring into action.
• no spring chicken = a person well past youth; an old person.
Example: That actor is no spring chicken, but she does a pretty good job of playing a twenty-year -old girl.
Example: Jane: How old do you think Robert is? Jill: Well, he’s certainly no spring chicken.
• spring for something = to treat (someone) by buying something.
Example: Can you spring for coffee? I for got to bring enough money.
• spring to mind = to appear suddenly or immediately in your thoughts
Example: That’s not a publisher that springs to mind when you mention quality fiction.
• spring fever = feeling of restless excitement or exuberance coinciding with the onset of warmer spring weather.
Example: It’s hard enough keeping control of a class full of young children throughout the year , but it’s particularly difficult once spring fever starts to spread.
Let’s practice what you have learned so far . Write the correct idiom in the blank spaces of the following sentences, and make sure to use the correct verb tense:
1. Because it’s your birthday today , I will ______________________________ dinner in a nice restaurant tonight.
2. I was trying and trying to remember the name of my friend’ s favorite movie, but nothing ______________________________.
3. Sally has poor time management skills and only started worki ng on her essay the night before it was due. She needs to ____ __________________________ so that she
can finish on time.
4. Now that winter is over , and the weather is getting warmer , John is having a hard time concentrating on his work. He has a bad case of ___________________________.
5. Cathy doesn’ t go to nightclubs anymore because she’ s 73 years old. After all she’s ___________________________________________.
Which American actor is famous for saying, ‘Are you talking to me?’ (from the movie ‘T axi Driver,’ character ’s name is Travis Bickle)
Find the answer by unscrambling the letters below: teborr ironed
Let’s practice: 1) spring for 2) sprang to mind 3) spring to action 4) spring fever 5) no spring chicken Film Challenge: Robert DeNiro